East Bergholt Village
VILLAGE MATTERS - September
East Bergholt Neighbourhood Plan – next meeting is 4th November. Come for tea/coffee and meet individuals of the group at 7.15pm in the Clubhouse at The Grange Country Park, Straight Road (plenty of parking spaces).
Note there will be no meeting in October
East BEast Bergholt Broadband - Update from Better Broadband Suffolk - As you may be aware, around 55% of Suffolk was upgraded to fibre broadband via the commercial activity of BT and Virgin Media. However, beyond this 55%, no business case for upgrade existed, and hence the remaining 45% was set to remain on old generation copper broadband. However, around 18 months ago, Suffolk County Council signed a contract to extend the ~55% to around ~85% by autumn 2015. The only reason this did not go beyond 85% was funding limitations. However, it was also committed that every premise will get at least 2Mbps by the end of next year. This was based on an £11.68m grant from government, which was matched locally by SCC. Conscious that Suffolk didn’t want to stop at 85% fibre coverage, we sought additional funding, and earlier this year we were offered additional funding which we again will need to match locally. With this, we aim to extend from our 85% to around 95%. We hope to sign a contract this October to achieve this, and will share the rollout details as soon as possible after contract signature. Note, we have absolutely committed to getting 2Mbps to everyone by the end of next year, and that won’t change, but really we want to get superfast speeds to as many as possible, rather than just the minimum commitment.
Much of East Bergholt is set to be upgraded in spring next year
, with speeds of 80Mbps available in the area. The reason that this is towards the end of the programme is that we had to bring fibre from Ipswich or Colchester, so areas “en route” to Bergholt were served on the way. There will be some areas which are outside of the planned coverage for spring next year. These are being targeted by the second contract mentioned above, and residents can log onto
to check their status
Surface Water Flooding - One of the simple ways that we can all help is by insuring that our gutters and drains are kept clear so that rainwater is contained within the system installed on our property. Removing debris from the road side is something we can all do, as is making sure our drainage grills, at the end of the paved driveways, are kept clear. Road drains are designed to disperse rain from the road surface and not for the collection and disposal of all rainfall on a street, including from properties! These simple actions can help to avoid surface water flooding and help everyone in the community to be more resilient in the face of intense weather systems.
Children’s Centres Consultation – You are urged to take part to let Suffolk County Council hear how the centre’s services could be provided in the future. Call 08456031842 or
Closes Thursday 16 October 2014
Road Closure – 15 September 2014, Park Road for repairs to carriageway.
Make regular visits to East Bergholt Village website
for updated news on the Parish Council, East Be for updated news on the Parish Council, East Bergholt Neighbourhood Plan and village photographs and news.
Help the Parish Council - If you see anything on the roads or footpaths in the village requiring attention, e.g. potholes, overgrown vegetation, broken benches, etc. Contact the Clerk (see below). Provide as many details as possible, maybe even a photograph.
For further information on any of the above contact
Valerie Ayton Parish Clerk
Please wait .....
Copyright© 2014 East Bergholt Village. All rights reserved